Monday, September 22, 2014

Jerusalen

Soooo this is super weird to be writing on Mondays again, but it is good to be back.

I am in an area called Jerusalen. It a branch in a place called ciudad Peronia. I guess we can say we are in the capital, even though I am up here in the mountains. Our area looks out over the city and it is a super pretty view. Our area is pretty poor, and is probably the most dangerous area I have been in, but it isnt too bad.

I am reopening the area with a new missionary named Elder Stuart. He is from Las Vegas, and is a great missionary. It is honestly such a priviledge to teach him, and be an example. I remember my first couple weeks in the mission and how hard they are, so I keep trying to put myself in his shoes and help him. He is super willing to learn, and try new things, We have had some crazy things happen to us this week, so he is getting a good taste of the mission.

Well we got to our area on Tuesday afternoon after changes meeting. The other elders showed us around a little for an hour or so, but not much.
I feel like I wasnt exactly sure where to get started on Tuesday, but Wednesday I started calling a bunch of members and asking them where they live. Little by little we have been meeting the members and asking them to take us to the houses of other members, investigators, and less-actives. It has worked very well and we got to teach a bunch of lessons and we got to know our area super quickly. the Lord has been blessing us immensely. It hasnt been easy, but Elder Stuart and I arent too stressed, I feel like we both are just confident that all will work out.

We have found some of the investigators that the other missionaries were teaching, but they arent really progressing besides one named Carlos.
Carlos is about 60 years old, and uses a wheelchair. He loves the church and has gone about 3 times, including yesterday. He reminds me so much of Salvador (my first convert)... he is willing to learn, and believe in all that we teach him. On Tuesday when we met him, he mentioned how the elders taught him about baptism, and that he wants to be baptized on his birthday and the end of November... which is sort of frustrating. So on Wednesday we decided we would teach him obedience. We read Alma 34 32-33 and he really liked the verses. We talked about how we must obey immediately, and we will be blessed. He told us that he would pray about changing the baptismal date.
Friday we showed up to Carlos` house and he was smiling and told us to come in. He sat us down and told us, "Elders, I have prayed and thought about what you shared with me, I want to be baptized next Sunday on the 28th."
This was a true miracle and so we are preparing for a baptism this upcoming weekend. Happy birthday to me eh?;)

All is going well here in Jerusalen! We are working hard and learning so much together. Elder Stuart is great, picking up the language and adjusting the culture quickly.

Love you all, and thank you for all the prayers, we can feel them.

Love, elder nathan russell walton

No comments:

Post a Comment